Friday, August 19, 2011

Helping leads to relief, relief leads peace

I am thankful for being able to do things in my life that I am passionate about. Many who know me closely know that I have a few things that strike a fire under my feet and push me to help. Besides fighting for a cure for CF I am also a crusader and deeply passionate about the tremendous suffering of children in impoverish countries like Ethiopia. Let me give you a bit of background......

In 2006 I was searching for a part-time job to help supplement our income. I have had many jobs in my little lifetime and knew from experience that I wanted to work in a non-profit that makes a difference in someones life. I began my search on Craigslist and found a job opening working at an international adoption agency. I had no idea what I was getting into but I applied and got the job.

I loved my job. I loved that I made a difference, no matter how small. I was able to ease the suffering of a handle full of children by assisting their placement into forever families. By doing so, I was able to look outside my suffering and see others. I also developed some very close relationships to wonderful people and families.

What I learned ripped my heart to shreds.

During my employment with the agency I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Ethiopia for 14 days. I wrote a daily journal about my feelings towards what I saw, heard, tasted and smelled (which was little since my sniffer doesn't work well). I traveled in March of 2009 and to this day have a difficult time reading the words I wrote. At times I feel like I made it all up. How, can the suffering be so tremendous when I have SO much, when we in the US along with other industrialized nations have SO SO SO SO much.

My friend over at scooping it up, who along with her hubby had the same opportunity to travel to Ethiopia as I, wrote is so well. The devastation in Somalia and other countries like Ethiopia is consuming. It can rip you to pieces. To be honest, it should, I should feel saddened by it, I should feel anger about it, I should feel compelled to help, I should stand up and take a stand to assist in their relief.

If for no other reason but to make your selfish soul feel better, help aid the relief. I did.

~Doodlin'

3 comments:

  1. Oh my friend I love you. I am forever grateful for the day I picked up the phone on our search for our adoption agency, that you answered the phone. I will never forget our instant connection. Your life & your story inspire me to be greatful for each day in the same way that the lives of those suffering all across the globe do. You are one of the greatest Treasures that I have stored up. When Selah and Josiah Jr. are home, the first chance I get, they are going to meet you. The wonderful amazing woman of God, who helped bring them into my life. Your life is used mightly! Much Love, Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Rachelle's feelings. YOU are the reason we have our son. Your voice, your assurance, your kindness has made our family who we are today. I will always be in debt to you for this. I have been thinking so much about how when we offer relief, we bring it to ourselves. Thanks for writing about it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachelle, I can't wait to meet you, Josiah and the sweet little blessings. I really hope your flight entails a stop thru Portland.

    Staci, I often dream about you. Seriously. I have dreams about just coming over like it's nothing new and grabing a bite and a good conversation, and get this.....with child entow :) Not sure what God's plan is but I believe He is telling me something.

    Thanks for allowing me to be such a wonderful presence in both your lives. I am the one who is blessed. You both have assisted me in allowing God's will to be done in my life and not my own.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...