Monday, September 19, 2011

Allergy = Hospitalization Day # Dos

I am happy to announce that hopelessness didn't consume me entirely!

As the night wore on and I realized that I was in for the long haul with no sleep and nothing from home but my cell phone, I decided to utilize my Facebook application. Thank goodness. I put one post about my dilemma out there only to get 29 comments. This may sound ridiculous but it kept me in the game, each time a new comment was posted my phone would ding announcing the news. That ding became a sweet sound of reprieve. I was taken away to FB land to read something that was encouraging and heart-warming. Thank you all.

By about 4am my phone battery had died from all the use and no charger but my CF doctor came in that morning unusually early because of all the patients in different hospitals that he needed to see. I was beyond thankful. During our discussion about the nights events, we both felt that changing the Zosyn to Meropenem was what absolutely needed to happen as it appeared that I had developed an allergy to the Zosyn.

This is not good news. The changing of medicines, yes. The allergy, no. There are only a few medications that Pseudomonas is sensitive to, meaning that can battle the nasty stuff. I now am allergic to  two of those precious medications.

The nurses immediately began to infuse the new drug and I slowly started regain normalacy. The vomiting stopped immediately, although I was left with no appetite for most of day. The no appetite thing had nurses a bit on their toes since I need approximately 3500 calories a day. The use of my feeding tube was halted because the hospital didn't have a particular connector tubing that my MIC-key button (g-tube) required thus zero caloric intake for over 12 hours. B would have to bring the proper connector up later that day. I still could not sleep. All the drugs that were given to help ease each symptom left me in a haze. I would close my eyes, toss and turn, fluff my pillows but sleep would allude me each time. My mom came up sometime in the day light hours of the morning, she came in tow with a bag that B had packed me of all the stuff I wanted from home. In my exhaustion I really wanted nothing to do with most of it besides the phone charger so that I could update my dear and loyal FB friends as well as return the 20+ text messages. My mom stayed the entire day, she simply sat played on her new iPad toy by my bed as I desperately tried to sleep. We would spark a conversation here and there but not much. I really really really wanted to sleep. That's what mom's do, they sit by your side with no expectations to be entertained.

Sleep is a very allusive function while in the hospital under the best of circumstances. In the hospital that I am typically admitted to they do 'purposeful hourly rounding' as the sign in my room to eloquently read. The nurses and/or CNA's came in every hour to take vital signs (temp., blood pressure, O2 stats) in addition to entering to administer my IV drugs, oral medications, etc. The traffic to my room was ridiculous but understandable.

Later in the evening I had a few visitors. My brother came with his two kiddos and my hubby came to stay the night. By this time I was starting to regain some strength, enough so to make a few trips to the bathroom alone and I even ate a light dinner. As night time approached I asked if I could have 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. My night nurses were very much in favor of this. It was not the best sleep I have ever had but compared to the previous nights events it was bliss.

Thursday, 9/8/11, began with a routine admittance and was worsened by an allergy. By Friday evening I was back to the status I had been admitted for. Hoping that Saturday would show improvement and we could start to look a release date. The one thing I was worried about prior to admittance, the Picc Line, was the only thing working.

Yay, Picc Line!

Thank you everyone for all your kind words. Sometimes we don't realize the full effect of our actions and/or words. Yours helped me get thru the night, gave me the strength to not break down in tears and to not let the feeling of hopelessness consume me. I have a new respect for social media. We don't know what post will make someone laugh or cry or renew their courage.

~Doodlin'

1 comment:

  1. Kari dear, don't know how I missed this entirely, but I am so sorry you've been in a bad place, and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...