Friday, December 2, 2011

Poking Away at Perfection

Today marks exactly one week since I have started incorporating the new insulin into my routine and I have to say I am doing okay with it. Not perfect but okay. If you missed what's going on, click here, for the backstory.

The new insulin is very quick acting, which is something I am not used to and that has been an adjustment. I started off giving the insulin based on what I was going to prepare, then preparing said meal, only to end up with low blood in the middle of my meal, which if you have or know someone with diabetes you know that it can cause you to eat more because of the way low blood sugar makes you feel. This low blood sugar over-eating causes a spike in blood sugar because you ate more than you anticipated and didn't give enough insulin to cover the additional intake. See the viscous cycle here?

I quickly figured out to make my meal and just before I put the food in my mouth to give the insulin. This method works beautifully if I am home or in an environment I feel secure in. However, if I am not secure or at a restaurant, driving while snacking, immersed in work/school studies, etc I completely forget all together. I am really trying to figure out different ways to "remind" myself to test my blood sugar and then take the insulin based on what I am going eat. Practice makes perfect, right?!

My biggest reward is that my blood sugars ARE starting to be controlled. I am having less really high readings and am starting to feel better. I have more energy, feeling less sluggish after meals and way less moody. I knew I wasn't going to have this perfected immediately and have given my self grace about it. If I didn't I would feel like a failure becoming frustrated resulting in giving up. I have also recognized that no matter how perfect of a routine I follow it might not be enough, our bodies chemistry is at times unpredictable, all I can do is do my best!

If you're new to CFRD or diabetes, don't give up. Continue to work with your care team to figure out what is right for you. You'll feel so much better.

I will continue to poke away at getting this diabetes thing under control and mingled into my lifestyle.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...