Saturday, August 25, 2012

CF Clinic Update

Last Tuesday was CF Clinic day for me. The verdict was both favorable and unfavorable.

However, before I go into all the details I just want to publicly announce (again!) how amazing my care team is. I could not be in such great health without them. They are some of my biggest supporters and they always tell me the truth; good, bad or indifferent. They have helped me navigate my insurance company when I was single, fabulous and broke. They have gently guided me thru some of the hardest years yet in my life. They have been a source of support for B, to help him understand the complexities of this disease and to offer words of wisdom when he most needed them. The folks who will take their places upon their retirement will have some very large shoes to fill. Just saying!

The unfavorable:

Let's just get it over with it. I have lost weight. Even with the dang feeding tube. Enough weight to raise a few eyebrows. I hate scales. I hate how so many live their lives as slaves to the number and how so many wrap their self-worth up in what the meter reads, so we don't have one in our home. Until Saturday. Ugh! However, I knew I had dropped a pound or two just by the way my clothing was fitting lately but not nearly 10 lbs. That is a lot for me. The worst part is putting those pounds back on is an upward hill to climb. Yes, I love food. But I hate doing anything that feels like a job and consuming 3500 calories daily becomes a job or worse a chore. 3500 a day will only help me maintain, therefore, I need to find ways to throw in a few more calories to recooperate the lost weight. I suppose I could simply just do the feeding tube more frequently or all day for that matter, but the goal is either use it only to supplement what I eat or to allow myself enough time to "bulk up" thru the feedings and be able to sustain a healthy weight by eating alone and remove the g-tube, or toobie (a cute little wee-one used this nickname). Well, I don't think either of those options will be occurring anytime soon. Instead, I will be adding more supplements to my real food and increasing the calorie intake (nearly 2000 calories from 1500) per feeding tube cycle. This also means adjustments to my insulin and digestive enzymes because of the increase. Fun, fun!!

The favorable:

PFT's were again astoundingly awesome. Awesome for me that is. FEV1 was 79 (normal: 80-120). There are other numbers that are looked at but I'll save you some time  and give the synopsis; my lungs are doing well. They are actually improving, at least from what the numbers tell us. After the Pulmonologist gave me my print out of my results I had a few folks come in and ask me what my "secret" was and my only explanation is the running and being complaint with treatments. Running requires usage of the lungs and therefore they are worked really hard while running. I have the Vest to help on the days I don't run but I am telling you its the running. I can feel the difference. I move more mucus during and after running then by doing the Vest. The Vest moves some mucus, but those pesky plugs way down in the lung come up more frequently with running. This gives me the ability to take deeper and deeper breaths and the medication from the nebulizer treatments can then get deeper and deeper to help prevent damage and maybe even allow a small window for healing and/or rebuilding of healthy tissue. I don't know but I know running is working. It took nearly a year of running to see any difference in my PFT's. So, CFer's don't give up, it takes some time.

I'll leave you with a video of the actual PFT session that I scored my 79 on.

~Doodlin'

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had a magic wand to help you gain weight! But I am gald you can also focus on the positive side of you visit too. Hang in there!

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...