Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pushing the Boundaries

Being an active member of the Cystic Fibrosis community has been so empowering. It's truly inspiring to see so many carrying out their dreams;  educating us all about what endurance means, what waking up each day with a purpose looks like, and what it truly means to change a culture. Over the past ten years the culture of having CF has been changing. From being a victim of a life-shorting disease to one of making CF be the drive to excel and reach new limits.

Only after getting to know a number of those in the CF community did I really look at running as a way to life longer, truly. I saw a transformation in how healthy these people were, but I also saw how they endured even when CF had a mind of its own, which it often does.

This past week a video project that some in the CF community were apart of was released. It's aw-inspiring. It makes me want to reach for new heights. To say the heck with limitations and just push as far as I possibly can. I encourage you to watch. These CF'ers are flippin' amazing. I wanna be like them: one long distance at a time.

Living Xtreme Beyond Cystic Fibrosis

In my running endeavors I decided to attempt to run the 10-mile leg of the Newport Oregon Half Marathon.  On Saturday, September 14th I did it. I ran the farthest to date of 10 miles in 1:48. The run was gorgeous. We started out on pavement, worked our way to a gravel road along a Big Creek Reservoir and then to the beach for the last 4 miles. I knew going into this that the beach would be the most difficult part since I have never trained on sand, and it was. It was all mental and a number of times I wanted to walk but I didn't and I'm so glad I didn't. Running a crossed the 10 miles marker with Hubbs cheering on the sideline was so freeing.

I kept this goal under rapes because after the 10k in August I was sure I could add that much mileage in such a short time. I didn't want to over do it and cause injury or ware myself down and get sick. So I just continued to train as usual and when the day came I felt like I would know if I could do it or if I should wait. I wanted to be realistic.

So, now that I have 10 miles under belt I'm ready for a new goal!!

~Doodlin'

3 comments:

  1. YOU ROCK!!!! I am so proud of how much you've been pushing yourself!!! Keep it up!! You go, girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colleen!! Your support means alot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing and inspiring! Thanks for giving us CF moms a great picture of what our kids can do... keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...