Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's All About the Routine

My struggle with CFRD (Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes) is no secret to those who know me and read this blog. I struggle with diabetes more than I do with my CF. There are few factors that aid in the struggle. I wasn't diagnosed with CFRD until I was 13 or so, whereas I haven't known life without CF. Another aspect that makes diabetes a struggle is that it requires multiple injections a day and numerous finger pokes whereas their is no poking on a daily bases to treat my CF.

I humbly admit that I was far from the model diabetes patient. For many years I did the bare minimum and tried to forget about it. Something changed about 9 years ago, I started to care. I started to see the importance of getting this aspect of my care under control. I began with baby steps so that I didn't overwhelm myself and throwing in the towel. I started to by committing to checking my glucose levels 3 times a day. As this became a routine occurrence each day I added something else. I kept building on this model and I started to see and feel results.

I am a learn the hard way kinda gal. I have to feel the impact before action is taken. It simply isn't enough to hear the statistics or even have the unpleasant symptoms described to me. I have to be affected to change course.

Fast forward to present day me. For the most part I have this diabetes thing under control. I have fit it into my life and it feels rather natural. I have a routine. Routine keeps me healthy. Routine keeps me on track. Because of routine I have learned what bumps me off course and what it takes to get back on course.

Of course, I could do even better. Which I continue to evaluate and make changes as I can handle them.  I have learned a lot from having diabetes. I have learned that diabetes truly requires one to be on top of their care for the immediate present while many of the treatments for CF are to help prevent damage in the future. Meaning, if my blood sugar drops too low I immediately feel the symptoms or worse will need to be rushed to the emergency room, but with CF if I skip a treatment there are no immediate symptoms.

This is why for me having a routine is essential. My routine helps me always know what's going on with my diabetes while being proactive with my CF. My hope is that I can keep my body in as good as healthy at this very moment as well as in the future so that I can be present in life with my family and friends.

A motivating saying I have posted to read every day is ....."Doing all my meds is NOT submission to my CF but rather FREEDOM from it." This is easily transferrable for any illness we struggle with. A routine allows this statement to be true.

Do you thrive in a routine?

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...