Saturday, March 30, 2013

Neutropenia Update

You know one thing that I am not great about is updating you all on my medical prognosis once I've been diagnosed. It's so easy to complain or write about how frustrated I am during a crisis, in fact its really helpful on many levels. I get the frustration out instead of holding it in until it boils over in anger or something self-destructive.

I do need to learn to go back to analyze the emotions when I'm well and in a good place mentally against those emotions during the crisis. I think it would be helpful to "see" what trigger points I have. What my tolerances are. Address the fears associated with that diagnosis or at least begin to work thru the fears now that I have the energy and am no longer in survival mode.

I mean, HELLO!, its the whole point of this blog; to turn pain into purpose or something inspirational.

Back in February after 2 weeks of IV's I developed Neutropenia. You can read the original post HERE. However, Neutropenia can become very serious if not addressed quickly. Thank the heavens I have great folks tending to me, as soon as the test results came back from a blood draw, they were directing me to the ER or Urgent Care whichever I could get my butt to fastest.

I am happy to report that within 48-72 hours of my trip to Urgent Care along with the removal of my PICC line I was beginning to feel more like myself. I continued weekly blood draws to ensure that my white blood cell count was continuing to rise. I am now rejuvenating those precious white blood cells at a healthy regular rate.

I'm fairly confident that I know my body. I know when something just isn't right and so does my doctor because I plow up their emails, pagers, and I park my tush in their exam rooms frequently until we figure it out. But sometimes I forget that medicine isn't the fix all. It too can have serious if not devastating results

Life is good. I'm slowly regaining my strength. I've been walking the dogs again and incorporating running. It's amazing how quickly we fall out of shape and how difficult it is to get back into a workout routine. I guess that's my biggest obstacle and it's really just a mind game.

My personal goal is to run a 10k this summer. So, I've got to stop the mind games and just lace up.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...