Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The D.I.S.H

The latest gossip on my lung pain mystery is that I have Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis or D.I.S.H for short. The thought process is that the D.I.S.H is contributing but not the only reason for the pain. 

D.I.S.H is a hardening of ligaments in areas where they attach to your spine. In my case, this makes a ton of sense. I've been seeing a Chiropractor for sometime now because my upper and middle back, specifically along my spine, feels very stiff. According to my Physiatris, this can present as lung pain or feel like lung pain due to the vicinity of the areas and is very common on right side. It's thought that I've developed the condition from prolonged Vitamin A use along with having Polyarthritis. 

The inflammation in my lungs from the scarring and long term affects of CF related infections, along with D.I.S.H, appear to be the majority of where my lung pain is stemming from. It feels good to have an idea of what this sudden onset of pain most likely is from. 

However, D.I.S.H is not reversible unfortunately. Once the ligaments begin to harden there isn't much that can be done. We can do a few things to ease the inflammation associated with it as well as prevent other ligaments from hardening. 

To Learn More About D.I.S.H: Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperotosis

I've added a few new "medications" to my already ridiculous regime and thus far it seems to be working. I still have a dull pain but it's totally manageable day-to-day. I've begun exercising again, which is amazing. I release a lot of stress and anxiety through the use of regular exercise that living without for awhile had me feeling like I was locked in a small cage.

So, now you're update on the last gossip!

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...