Wednesday, May 15, 2013

May is National CF Awareness Month: Fun Fact #4

CF is for the most an invisible disease. Unless you can physically see the scars from Port-A-Caths, G-tubes, etc. But even then you wouldn't be able to identify someone with CF. However, there are a few features that many CF patients end up acquiring. The most distinguishable features come from having lung disease. Finger clubbing and a barrel-chested appearance are two of the more common physical deformities that occur.

Finger and toe clubbing is yet another characteristic of chronic lung diseases like Cystic Fibrosis.


Its well documented that CF affects many parts of the such like the lungs and pancreas. CF also results in distinctive effects on the fingers of many CF patients in whats known as clubbing. 

Patients who have pulmonary diseases, including CF, commonly experience chronic lung infections, and have a higher risk of experiencing finger clubbing. Some develop a mild form of clubbing while others have very noticeable clubbing.

In addition, to finger clubbing a CF patient can develop a barrel-chested appearance. The barrel-chested appearance comes from the lung cavity being hyper-inflated. Because of the nature of CF with frequent lung infections the airways become enlarged or obstructed causing the barrel like appearance. The severity of the barrel-chest appearance varies from patient to patient. 

The barrel-chest appearance in patients with chronic lung disease forms over time. Generally, as the lung disease progresses and air becomes trapped causing patients begin to acquire the barrel-chested appearance.




It should be noted that not ALL CF patients have these deformities. I don't have any noticeable clubbing but I do have a slight barrel-chested appearance that is only noticeable without clothing. 

~Doodlin'

2 comments:

  1. I always hated my clubbing, but the few times I have gone to get manicures the manicurists always compliment my nails. I guess if manicurists like them they can't be all that bad, right? I also have a mild barrel appearance, but I can't really think of an upside to that one :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about clubbing until a doctor appointment. My doctor described it to me and then I started looking at my hands and comparing them to others. Haha! The odd things about CF

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...