Monday, May 6, 2013

May is National CF Awareness Month: Fun Fact #3

Cystic Fibrosis is an extremely expensive disease. It's hard to pinpoint exactly how much it costs to treat CF for a number of reasons, disease severity, insurance gaps, patient compliance, etc.

However, the median cost per year is $40,000 pre transplant. While approximately 95-99% of the CF population has access to some sort of healthcare coverage many have reported skipping medications or reducing usage in order to cut costs.

As reported by the CF Pharmacy my medication costs per month:

ANTIBIOTICS:
Azithromycin 500mg- $466.28

DIABETES:
Humulin R- $53.16
Humulin N- $53.16
One Touch Test Strips- $123.60

ENZYMES:
Zenpep 20,000- $435.88

INHALERS:
Proairt HFA Inhaler- $53.42

NEBULIZED MEDICATIONS:
Cayston $6,786.02
Sodium Chloride 7%- $61.94
Pulmozyme- $2,657.41
TOBI- $8,012.17

NUTRITIONALS:
Boost High Protein- $56.88

VITAMINS:
AquaADEKS softgels- $41.95

TOTAL per month: $18,801.87*

I am so thankful that I have insurance. Most the above referenced medications are a $40 co-pay, which for me puts my total at approximately $480* per month.

Currently I'm a recipient of Social Security Disability which pays for all my medications, co-pays, and other needs related to my healthcare. At the end of each month I have $108 leftover for food, gas, rent, clothes, etc.

It's no wonder why CF patients continue to live with family well into adulthood or in my case I have a spouse who busts his hump each day to provide.

CF care only gets more expensive with age and with the progression of the disease. I am in a good place. I'm healthy (for CF).

*This total does NOT include things like insulin needles, Lantus (insulin), additional vitamins, IV antibiotics, home health care, doctors appointments, feeding tube supplies, the VEST, hospitilazations, etc.

~Doodlin'

1 comment:

  1. I love that you shared this. The cost of this disease is definitely something people outside of the community aren't aware of - perfect to bring up during this month of awareness

    (And congrats on your successful Great Strides walk - that's fantastic!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...