Thursday, June 13, 2013

When the Unthinkable Happens....Are You Prepared?

The one thing I can say without fail is that life is a roller coaster ride. I'm not sure how I "feel" about that. 

May was National CF Awareness Month, for which I hope I was able to give you different information then what most typically read and/or hear about CF. You know, to broaden your knowledge of what CF is and how it affects those of us with it.

However, as May was approaching an end a tragic townhouse fire took the lives of a husband and 11 yr old boy. They were our neighbors and only 4 town-homes from us. Needless to say, it shook B and I up BIG TIME. 

The town-home is now boarded up with crime scene yellow tape around it. We drive past it multiple times a day. We can see it from our front yard. It's a constant reminder of what occurred early that Thursday morning.

We, took away from this tragedy that you never know what will happen in this life. Much of the time I fret about what my future may not hold due to CF but it very well could end up being something completely unexpected that interrupts my future plans. 

We, also took time to reflect on what our personal safety plans are. Do we have a fire escape route, do we have the necessary tools to successfully implement the escape route, do we know how to work the tools? etc. My answer, sadly, is no. We live in a 3-story town home in-where the bedrooms are on the third floor. We have no ladder, no fire extinguisher, and no planned routes. All we have is working smoke detectors. So did our neighbors.

Not.Okay.

Look, I'm not talking about getting all crazy and prepping for the end of the world sort of stuff. But let's be realistic. In the event of even a small kitchen fire we are simply not prepared. We don't have fire extinguisher. Do you? Do you know how to discharge it? Do you know when to replace it?

In addition, to adding things like a ladder in our bedroom on the third floor and a fire extinguisher, we have to take into account my medical needs. Should a house fire or some other emergency situation arise that requires us to evacuate our home. I'm connected to a feeding tube machine at night. I can't simply hop out of bed and flea. This will need to be disconnected or worst case be cut before I can flea. Will B or I be of sound mind to remember this? Should I keep a small pair of scissors with my feeding tube supplies on my nightstand? 

Another factor particularly with smoke is my lungs. I don't have the normal capacity that say; B will have to withstand smoke inhalation. The most likely scenario will be that I'm unconscious from it long before he will. This means he'll have to know how to carry me down a ladder if he is able. Have we practiced him carrying something around my weight down a ladder, even a small one? Nope. We have pets, which would be last on our list to rescue, but nonetheless if its possible do we know how? Do I know how to help B in case he's unconscious as I can't lift him even with his help? 

I guess my point is that we all were taught a few things about fire safety in school. There's a reason. House fires are actually very common. Not all are tragic but some are. We are not even close to being prepared.

We're taking steps to change this. A sweet foldable ladder is on its way in the mail and three fire extinguishers are also in route. We've discussed a few options for escaping but still need to finalize and probably write it down so we can review every once in awhile.

I encourage everyone to take a good hard look at their safety plans and tools, especially if you have children. Just because you know doesn't mean they know or have been taught how. Practice. Practice. 

Be safe and have a plan!

~Doodlin'




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...