Sunday, July 7, 2013

Birthday Adventure and Training Update

While I've committed to updating you on each week's training. I have already sort of fallen off the wagon. Last week didn't get an update because I was having too much fun celebrating my birthday with some awesome friends.

After much thought I decided to do something I've never done before and do it with friends. A friend had said that for your birthday they went Zip Lining in Warrenton, Oregon. After that, I knew this would be just the right adventure to celebrate turning 31.

So, we got started inviting some friends. Sadly, some couldn't make it, kind of a bummer. We booked the tour and then the hotel to stay in Seaside, Oregon. Being that my birthday falls in the period of time when the weather in Oregon isn't always in summer bloom yet still be stuck in the spring rain I was nervous that we'd be zipping in the freezing pouring rain.

The Oregon coast is temperamental when it comes to weather. You never know if its gonna be sunny with 80+ degrees or overcast with rain. This trip was gorgeous. It was hot not warm but HOT.  This adventure was something none of us had done before and we were so excited.

Once we got to the zip place we were outfitted in the safety gear and given a helmet that is labeled. They gave me "birthday girl" and appropriately so. B had "scarecrow", and the lovely couple who adventured with us were "honey badger" and "sugar". Quite comical.



I was totally completely beyond freaked out once I saw how high these zip lines are and that they went over water. But after the first zip (which they labeled the "bunny slope") I was so confident.


Little did I know that my hubby and friends had secretly asked the guides to "dunk" me thru the water on one of the low lying zip lines. Thank-goodness it was scorching outside because I was soaked. 




The views of the coastal line were gorgeous from the top of the platforms. The sky was clear blue and you could see for miles. B and I enjoyed experiencing yet another adventure together.


These two are like children when left to their own. Boys will be boys and us girls sun-bathed while the getting was good.

Bottom line, you should try it, if your a thrill seeker and not afraid of heights. It's fun and exhilarating.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Training

Week #2:
Training was fairly easy. No real hiccups or obstacles and the amount of time running seemed rather fluid. Its hard to describe but it felt as though running was second nature and that my body was made for it.




Week #3:
This week was a far cry from week #2. It was hard. I was challenged both mentally and physically. Although I would say this week was more mental than physical. I struggled with the hardest part of exercise of any kind; putting on my shoes. Each training day I kept telling myself things like "I'll go in 30 minutes" or "just one more hour then I HAVE to run" or "I can run tomorrow early in the morning since its already so hot".......

Once I got running I kept peeking at my watch, which makes it feels like time is moving soooooooo slow. I'd feel as though I'd been running for 5 minutes only to find out 2 minutes had passed. It was such a mental battle to keep putting one foot in front of the other and to not look at the watch.

The schedule also ramps up the amount of time running and grossly decreases walking time. I also wonder how much stress I carried thru my runs last week because of the mental battle. I always try to pay attention to how tense my shoulders and arms are while running. Which I don't think I did a good enough job of since I was too obsessed with the watch. Today, I feel it.

I'm glad this last week is behind me and I'm preparing to make this week's workouts less mental. I'm also thrilled its a recovery workout week.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...