Friday, July 12, 2013

Cycle for Life

Two years ago I signed up for what I thought was going to be a fun and easy bike ride in support of the CF Foundation. What I didn't know because I didn't check was how much uphill biking was involved. The day of the bike ride I was so excited. We got all dressed up in bike appropriate gear, loaded up our bikes and headed to the starting location. We got signed in, got our bibs and were ready to rock and roll.....err pedal.

It was B, my mother-in-law and I. We started off at a comfortable cruising pace and were enjoying each others company and the beautiful scenic route. Until the first hill came. I saw it as we approached it and immediately thought that there is NO way I was gonna be able to pedal my bike up this hill. I got as fast of a start as I could muster and made it. I was huffing and puffing and took a minute breather at the top but I had made it. We again causally cruised down the road, by this time the more experience riders were no where in sight. But I didn't start the bike ride with a predetermined finishing time.

Then the second hill came and I quickly found myself walking my bike up the hill. Every so often I would stop to catch my breath and cough. But again, I had made it to the top. I mean, walking uphill is a good workout too.

Then the third hill and fourth and fifth and to-many-to-count came in rolling succession it felt like. I walk all of them and felt so defeated. At one point I actually  wanted to cry. By the time we crossed the finish line I was spent. But I was also proud for not giving up. Sure I walked the hills but that's not giving up that's just changing it up and putting myself in position to finish. While I didn't beat any world records, I finished on my own accord, no one helped me.

Well, on July 28th I'm gonna do it all over again! I'm super excited and I hope to be able to ride up at least a few more hills than the last one. I'm sure I'll still walk a few but I'm okay with that. This year I'm prepared and know that walking isn't forfeiting. I also feel as though I'm over all in much better shape than I was the first go-around.

It will be an adventure for sure. This years route............







If you'd like to make a donation to our team to further advances in finding a cure you may do so here:
https://www.cff.org/Chapters/oregon/EventDonation/?idEvent=23881

I'll update you all on how I fared this year.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...