Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Workout Update #4 & #5

The last training update I gave was for weeks #2 & #3, which week #3 was a difficult week to get thru.  You can read why here.

Week #4 was SO much easier. I'm not certain if it was because of how much I struggled the previous week or if it was because week #4 was a recovery week. Recovery weeks are designed to maintain what you've built up to but not push for further gain. In essence, you sort of stay right where you were with the hopes of what was once hard is now easier and allow your body time to adjust and heal. For week #4's Saturday run I opted to ride my bike 8.5 miles to the park to play with my niece and nephew instead. I'm glad I did because it didn't feel like training. I was simply using a different method of transportation to go see some cute kiddos. I've said this before and I'll say it again, training is 90% mental and 10% muscle. The bike ride was the perfect mental distraction yet it was quit strenuous.

A little r&r on the marry-go-round was the perfect reward for all that biking!



Week #5 was also fairly easy. No real hiccups. In fact, I added yet another element of jogging/lunging a nasty hill on Monday. The hill is nearly a little over a quarter mile long with an elevation gain of approximately 500ft. My goal was to go down and up 3x, I made it 2x because my calf muscles were screaming in pain. but after doing lots of stretching and rolling my muscles with a foam roll Tuesday's run (run 20/walk 2/run 20) was a piece of cake, and Thursday's run (run 25 min) didn't even feel like a run.

I guess I'm making advancements slowly. I was beginning to get frustrated because week #3 really had me feeling like I was in terrible shape and that I wasn't making an improvements. But its in those really hard weeks when you don't give up that you make the most impact. It makes what used to seem hard actually easy or no big deal.

This week I'm feeling accomplished and pleased with my overall training. I look forward to next weeks workouts and the CF Cycle for Life.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...