Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Secret to Finishing a 5k: Playing the Winning Card

As April 1st quickly, a bit too quickly I might add, rolls upon us so does my goal of running another 5k. The Race for the Roses 5K is fairly flat and straight. The flat part I am beyond grateful for but the straight part has me a bit uneasy.

When running in a straight line or path its really easy to see just how slow your moving. You can see each and every mental marker. The way I run is that I see something, like a stop sign and think to myself, okay just make it to that, then once I have accomplished getting to the stop sign (or whatever) I pick a new mental marker. With each marker I pass I gain confidence and stamina. But the straight line leaves you watching that marker for what seems like all eternity. Thus leaving you to play the mind vs willpower game. Which to be honest is not a game I usually win. However, I have a winning card up my sleeve for just this kind of emergency.

My card is B, who will be running in front of me and let me just say, a 6'2" man does not naturally run at the same pace as a 5'4" gal. His stride is much larger than mine, which places is pace far ahead of me and when he slows down his pace it throws off his mental game, allows more wear & tear on the joints and is just as difficult as keeping a pace that is too fast. He has graciously obliged to run the slow pace because he loves me and because he knows how difficult this goal really is for me. The plan is that he will be running just far enough ahead of me for me to watch his feet. To see the momentum of forward motion, to allow my eyes to feed my brain the motion of running so that willpower to simply stop and walk does not take over.

I have been training so I don't expect to be using my winning card until mile 2.5-3. I have had to make a few changes to my training schedule because of not feeling well, aching joints (arthritis) and the weather. So I haven't gotten to the point in my training that I had hoped. I am not going to let this drag me down though. I am going to run the race and I don't care what my time is. My goal is to simply run the entire 5k.

I have always told myself that there is no failure in making adjustments to my training schedule. It would be a failure to completely give up; which I don't do.

Here's to hoping my secret to finishing is playing my winning card, after all, the card is pretty darn amazing!

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...