Saturday, June 23, 2012

Am I An Expert?!

Am I an expert? Nope. Not even in the field of CF or diabetes or arthritis or patient advocacy or anything for that matter. I do have more knowledge than some on these and other various topics. Why? Because I walk in the trenches of the disease and areas surrounding the disease.

Every. Single. Day.

Just like someone with straight hair understands the difficulty of attempting to curl it. Does this mean they understand every core aspect of everyone who has straight hair? Nope. But I am sure they have an opinion on what hair products seem to work better than other, why? from experience.

So, dear nay-sayers, while I am not an expert (nor have I ever claimed to be) I do have an opinion whose foundation is fairly strong because of my experience because my reality is CF, is diabetes, is arthritis, is patient advocacy 24/7 and all things that intermingle between it all.

It is hurtful when those very close to you judge how your handling your disease(s). When they assume and treat you as though you are ignorant in the topics surrounding your disease(s) only to use their perceived assumptions against you. To call you names, to run your entire existence in the mud, to make an already difficult life (at times) even more difficult. We do the best we can with the information given to us. Sometimes we are wrong. Sometimes we mess up. But please don't think we are ignorant or unknowing because dear one we spend thousands and thousands to get expert advise. We are treated by some of the most brilliant people in the world.

We would be in a better a place if you could support us. Help us. Encourage us. Promote healthy two-sided conversations. Until that day comes all I can do is forgive your nasty words. Rise above to a better place and hope for a better encounter next time.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...