Tuesday, August 6, 2013

35-miles all for CF Cycle for Life

Riding in the truck on the way home the reality of what I accomplished brought me to tears. At 31 years old, approximately 6 years from the average life expectancy I crossed the finished line of a 35-mile bike ride to benefit and fund more life saving advancements in CF. I did it!! No one pulled me, carried me or helped me a-crossed (with the exception of moral support and words of encouragement) the finish but me, myself and my pure determination to not let CF win.

We cycled around Henry Hagg Lake and thru two towns; Forest Grove and Gaston. The company B works for Cascadian Landscapers, Inc supported the team and my ride. I was the ONLY rider with CF and dubbed the Ride Ambassador.

Team Cascadian Landscapers, Inc!

The weather was perfect. Not too hot not too cold. We shared laughs along way, struggled up a few hills as a group and ended the day by eating while having a glass of wine on the lawn, that is after I laid like a dead person to regroup myself. Good greif!


The ride itself was for the most part easier then the previous time I rode in Cycle for Life. There were a few good size hills, which were mostly around the lake and the rest were rolling hills. During the first 18 miles had a few what-the-heck-am-I-doing thoughts but felt good overall. However, the last 10-miles or so were excruciatingly long. I thought we would NEVER get to the finish.



Since we rode with my hubby's side of the family (sister, mother and father in-laws) they all would "check in" to see how I was holding up. Towards the end, last 2 miles or so, we could physically see the winery where the finish line was and I seriously felt like giving up. I was tired, my legs were rubbery, I was having a very difficult time keeping my breathing rhythmic and I was just plan done. Those last two miles felt like eternity. The worst part was the finish was just at the top of a hill. A huge hill.



But we did. I did. I'm so proud of us ALL. I'm so thankful for those in my life who support me and push me to reach new heights and not let this disease dictate what I can and can't do. I rode for all those who are struggling, those who have lost the battle and for those who gaining new strength every day.





What a ride!

`Doodlin'

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I'm so glad that you are healthy enough to accomplish this feat. Take good care of yourself and enjoy the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...