Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Exhaustion Is Setting In

All this training and working out is exhausting. Not just the act of working my body but the planning my days to incorporate the workouts. When I thought about preparing for a 10k I thought it would be great to do so during the summer. I figured it would force me to get outside to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. I am doing just that; enjoying the fresh air and sunshine, but I'm over the heat. The air is fabulous on my lungs, my spirit and makes me feel refreshed. The sunshine is giving me that sun-kissed glow and it brings out my freckles. But the heat. It's too much. I've adjusted my training schedule and life to allow me to get up and run between 5:30am- 6am. I'm an early riser but to be up, awake and ready to run is a different story. It makes for an extremely long day. I forgo my morning neb treatments until after I get back from my run just to save time and beat the sun. The entire thing is exhausting. I'm rethink attempting such a task during summer. Winter is looking mighty appealing.

We recently bought a portable A/C unit but with all my medical stuff and the dog kennels we can't fit it into our bedroom. It does work greatly in the guest room, so we've sort set up shop in there on the nights when it doesn't cool down enough to sleep comfortably. Flopping between two different beds is probably a contributing factor to my exhaustion.

While I'm exhausted I'm oddly simultaneously on cloud nine. I'm setting goals, achieving them and that feels great. Better than great; amazing. It makes heading to bed a 7:30pm and crawling out at 5am worth it. The sacrifice is so worth it. My overall health is better for it.

The behemoth task of incorporating a workout routine or training schedule feels overwhelmingly impossible and too consuming. Not gonna lie, there are days when it just feels like too much or that I'm pushing my body too hard, but pushing thru those feelings is what makes me feel like I'm actually making a difference in my health and progressing in my training. I've mentioned in my workout updates that I went into this knowing that I would be making adjustments along the way and that just because the schedule "says" I'm gonna run x-miles I might actually do something less than what's planned. I'm okay with that. As long as I do  something I know I'm not taking steps backwards.

My 10K is this Saturday and I'm taking Thursday and Friday off. No running. I will be stretching and walking the dogs. I'm eager to check this goal off and move on to the next. I keep joking that after the run Saturday I'm gonna sleep the rest of the day and Sunday too!!

The upside to this type of exhaustion is that its from getting my body in-shape not because I'm sick and my body is worn down from crudeness.

~Doodlin'

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. Even for people w/o your health challenge of CF, there's a psychological aspect to exercise that needs to be worked out, so to speak, too. How much of your time, how much of your energy, how much of your mental life, should be funneled into your exercise routine? I think the fact that for you, your physical health is being positively impacted by your commitment is a very important factor to consider in your plans. The serious athletes I know say this: the 'right' exercise for anyone is the one that they can keep doing, keep their commitment to, feel positive about. If you push yourself too much, you burn out, and might end up doing nada. Good luck on your decisions moving forward, at whatever 'speed' works for you, wishing you good health, and yes, for me too, winter's looking mighty appealing! Long, hot summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, thanks! I couldn't agree more with the idea that the "right" exercise is the one that you can keep doing, keep the commitment and feel positive about. One of the huge advantages about running is that all I truly need to do it is a pair of shoes and a sports bra. I can take it with me wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...