Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Huckleberry 10K= ACHIEVED

I am so proud of myself. Going into this 10K training I knew it would be challenging and exhausting but I never gave up, even on the difficult days. I held myself accountable every step of the way and it feels sooo good to announce that I accomplished what I set out to do.

The Huckleberry 10K & Half Marathon was a beautiful route. The temperature was perfect; cool in the morning but slowly warmed up as the sun came up. The route was a paved surface which is what I had predominately trained on. Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better set up and conditions.

As we stood at the start line waiting for the horn to blow announcing our start I had to swallow back tears. So many emotions ran thru me. Jubilation that I'm even able to "think" of taking on such a goal. Guilt for being this healthy while many of my friends have passed away or are in a serious battle for life. Sadness for my friends who have passed, that they didn't get a fair chance or the opportunity to breathe so deeply or simply run. I don't just run for myself but for those who can't or couldn't. I feel that I owe it to them to try and not waste my good health and in addition so that I don't look back when my health is failing wishing I had done it.

As we passed the start line we paid close attention to our pace. It's very easy to get caught up in the joy and energy of those around you and run to fast too soon. We wanted to keep a 10:30-11 minute mile, which we do a pretty darn good job regulating. As the first mile came and went we started to separate from the masses to settle into a comfortable pace. At the first water station we stopped to take our long-sleeve shirts off and sip some water. As mile 2 came I was excitedly thinking "nice, only 4 more to go" but in mile 3.5-4.5 its mostly all uphill. A gradual hill, which is almost worst than a quick steep hill, as it drags on and on and on. At a few points, I had to stop running and lundge up the hill so that I could catch my breath. I can't remember but we did stop for water another 2x, which we walked for about 30 seconds afterwards. The hill just kept going and going and my mother-in-law was second guessing if the route was accurate because our gps watches were telling us we were half-way yet we were still running away from the start and not towards. I told her that either way at the top I was turning around, I am not prepared to run farther than the 6.2 miles. Shortly, after we saw the turnaround point but we both were still a bit confused about the distance. At the last water station which was at the bottom of the hill the water-lady said we had one more mile and I was astonished because my garmin gps watch was telling me something different. We then began the climb of another yet shorter hill but on the backside I started to notice signs of the finish line. Here I was preparing myself for another mile roughly yet the finish line was just seconds away. For the record, the route was correct, they routed us a different way back that was shorted. I was amazed. I was feeling tired but overall pretty good.

As we came a-crossed the finish, Big Foot was there to celebrate our arrival. I gave him a high-five, got my finisher's metal and a water then as  I was walking off the emotions overflowed and I had a moment of ugly crying. Its still hard to reconcile that I actually did it. That at 31 years of age with Cystic Fibrosis I ran 6.2 miles in a very respectable timeframe.

My official time:



Things I've learned about myself:

1) When I truly put my heart and mind into something, the results are amazing.
2) My body might have some limitations but its still miraculous.
3) Having CF has been a blessing by which it forces me to act now and not take life for granted.
4) Nothing is impossible, cliche but true!
5) My inner strength is a force to be respected.

~Doodlin'

5 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Congratulations, you are inspiring my friend. So proud of you. I bet your lungs are feeling good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to read that you are still fighting the good fight and that you sound happy! Keep kickin ass, Kari.

    Best wishes,
    An old friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari! I am SO proud of you! What an amazing achievement, congratulations! Keep it up, cyster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! I hope my achievements inspire you to set out to achieve yours; whether it be small or big. Breaking it down into small achievable tasks will have your completing what you set out to do in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...