Friday, April 26, 2013

Striving to Live in The Moment

It's been a marvelous week. Truly.

The weather here in the Pacific Northwest has been unbelievable, my daily meditation and yoga has afforded me new calmness and by being complaint with my meds I feel so good.

Part of my meditation is to focus on the present moment without assumptions, judgements, or comparision. This tactic has allowed me to take each day for what it is without feeling the urge to rush through it. I'm not abandoning today because I'm focusing on tomorrow. I've been living right here, in this very moment.

I'm realizing how much stress I place upon myself. Instead of taking on each task individually I'm executing a task but creating anxiety over the next. For example, while vaccuming I'm already mentally moving down the to-do list and creating (in my mind) anxiety about the list. Sort of like it's all gotta get done today. Truth is, more than half of my to-do list on any given day would not be earth-shattering if not completed. No one but me would know it didn't get done.

Just realizing all this is helpful, to me anyway. Mediation is forcing me to slow down, to examine closely what's worth stressing over. I have to say it makes each day a tad more manageable. I feel slightly less stressed.  I look forward to what each day holds instead of the self-inflicked to-do list.

I've been able to place the stress where it belongs and do things that are beneficial to me physically and mentally. Sure, the to-do list didn't get any shorter but I'm happier and feel more at peace. The laundry, dishes, and whatever else can wait, I've got a life to live.

Living with calmness instead of urgency, living in peace instead of turmoil, living right now instead of in the past or future. That's what I'm striving for within each moment.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...