Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Ice Cream and Long Days

The past few weeks have had me spinning; going to and from with a full social calendar. This time of year I am spinning my wheels because the hubs begins his very long work days. As summer is their busiest season, the time of year that generates enough profits to get the small family owned business thru the winter when all things landscape related seem to halt. He works 6am to 7pm. Leaving no time to help out around the house; nor would I ask. The long days keep me motivated to get things done. My take on it is this, if he is busting his hump (literally, physically he looses approx. 10-15lbs every summer) then I can "lady-up" and make sure this household runs smoothly. I would be mortified if he came home after such long grueling hours of braving the weather conditions, managing people, attempting to meet strict deadlines, and at times literally picking up a shovel to move earth all day to find our home unorganized, disheveled and me being lazy not carrying my weight when he needs it most.

But the long days alone make me miss him. Anyone who is married will understand that some alone time is wonderful, refreshing and invigorating but too much alone causes you to miss them, to want to shower each other with love and words of encourage to make it thru the next long day, thus appreciating one another. I have been at this heightened routine for almost 3 weeks and I find myself watching the clock with eager anticipation between 7-7:30pm. I am eager to see him. To hear his voice. To attend to him and let him put his feet up for 30 minutes while he eats dinner. To lay in bed at 8pm while I run my feeding tube snuggled up to him and watch something via our little laptop.

Distance or time makes the heart grow founder. This I truly believe; if the love is genuine.

Since I am staying on my feet and keeping up on all my "chores" and duties around the house along with taking on his duties I am exhausted. Tonight's dinner for me was a HUGE bowl of ice cream. And I am forever grateful for each smooth, cool, sugary bit. The sugar high might push me to get his lunch ready for  the next day tonight rather than at 5am tomorrow morning.

I am thankful for the small things, for all the small things make up how great my life is.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...